Our team at Aztec Roofs offers a variety of different roofing materials to suit many different needs. In recent years, we have seen tile roofing grow in popularity, and we want to help you figure out if this material is right for you. Keep reading to learn more about its benefits and drawbacks in order to make an informed decision.
Benefits of Tile Roofing:
- Weather-Resistance – Tile roofing is highly durable and able to withstand hail, high winds, and even fire.
- Energy Efficiency – Tile roofs are also great for reducing your energy consumption—they are installed in a way that creates an air pocket between the tiles and the roof deck, which acts as another layer of insulation and prevents passive heat gain.
- Pest-Resistance – A third benefit of tile roofing is that it is impervious to pest damage.
- Longevity – Due to its high durability, tile roofing has an estimated lifespan of upwards of 50 years.
Drawbacks of Tile Roofing:
- Cost – Tile roofing has a high upfront cost, as the material can cost up to twice as much as asphalt shingles. While some people find the greater durability and longevity worth this initial expense, it is definitely not right for everyone.
- Installation Requirements – Roof tiles also have specific installation requirements, and if those requirements are not met, your roof won’t last as long as it’s supposed to. Our team has extensive experience in installing tile roofs, so you can count on us to make sure your tile roof is installed perfectly.
- Maintenance – Another possible drawback of tile roofing is that it tends to get dirty easily. Fortunately, it is also easy to clean and will continue to look great as long as you are willing to keep up with this task.